UPDATED March 2, 2021 – Ready to reap the benefits of CBD? Awesome. One of the things that is most important to understand how much CBD you should be taking and what a suggested dose is based on. Much of this is dependent on our individual bodies and there is not an official serving size, in this post we cover some dos How to Take CBD Oil 101: How to figure out your ideal CBD oil dosage, how to use CBD oil Did you just buy CBD oil and realize there’s no dosage instructions for how to take CBD oil on the
CBD DOSING GUIDE – How Much Should I Take? [UPDATED]
UPDATED March 2, 2021 – Ready to reap the benefits of CBD? Awesome. One of the things that is most important to understand how much CBD you should be taking and what a suggested dose is based on. Much of this is dependent on our individual bodies and there is not an official serving size, in this post we cover some dosing guidelines and suggestions to assist you. As you might guess, much of this is a function of our individual weight and metabolism and body chemistry. Dive in and see what is best for you so you can get the most out of your C+L supplements and improve your personal preparation, performance + recovery.
Let’s start by addressing some common misconceptions about CBD. First off: you can’t get “high” using CBD. In order to be legal for sale in the US, CBD can’t contain more than 0.3% concentration of THC, the psychoactive compound responsible for the sensation of “getting high”. In simple terms: virtually no amount of CBD could be consumed to trigger the psychoactive effects commonly associated with THC. Put another way, there’s small amounts of alcohol in toothpaste, but you’re never going to get drunk by swallowing tubes of Colgate. That said, it is important to figure out the right dosage for your needs.
How Much CBD Should I Take?
Dialling in the correct dosage for your body is an important part of getting the most out of your CBD supplements. Once you’ve found the right dosage you’re not only going to get the most benefits from your supplements and feel great, but you’re also going to guard against wasting money by using excess product.
As a baseline, our suggested dosage is 0.25mg CBD multiplied by your body weight in pounds on a daily basis. Therefore, a 120 pound person should take 30mg CBD daily (0.25 x 120 = 30), and a 200 pound person should take 50mg CBD daily (0.25 x 200 = 50). Ideally, split your doses equally between morning and evening. With this formula you can now easily figure out your suggested dose.
That said, there is no ‘official serving size’ or standard dose’ and it varies from person to person. Your ideal dosage will be based on a variety of factors including your weight, metabolism, the type of product you’re using (tincture, softgel, topical), and body type. For the best potential for success, we recommend some experimentation and consistent usage to determine the right dosage for you. It can take 2-3 weeks to determine the proper dosage, but once you witness CBD’s effects on your body you’ll be in a better position to decide how much to take and when to take it, so be patient and take your time.
- Tinctures – taking the correct amount of tincture can be confusing, so we are going explain it in detail. This is going to be easy using the information from the formula we introduced above. First, you need to be mindful of which strength of tincture that you purchased, 500 or 1000mg. Remember, our examples are based-on only using tinctures, so adjust accordingly if you are also using softgels, oral spray or topicals.
- Now, if you purchased a 500mg Tincture, the full bottle will contain ~600 drops worth of tincture and each drop will contain approximately 0.8mg of CBD. Now, if you recall from reading above, we suggest a dose of 0.25mg multiplied by your bodyweight in pounds. For example, if you are 120 pounds you should be taking 30mg CBD per day for best results. Here is our formula 0.25 x 120 = 30mg, and now to convert that into drops, we take 30mg and divide that by the 0.8mg per drop and you get ~35 drops (experiment with between 30-40 drops and see what works best for you). For a 200 pound person, our formula suggests a does of ~60 drops per day (experiment between 60-70 drops per day and see what is optimal).
- Let’s run through this same exercise using our 1000mg tincture bottle which also contains ~600 drops of CBD oil. It is important to note that since this product is 2x the concentration that each drop now contains ~1.6mg of CBD. For the same 120 pound person that we used as an example above, you would now take ~15 drops per day (experiment with between 15-25 drops per day to see what is optima)l. For the 200 pound person, they would take ~30 drops per day (experiment with between 25-35 drops per day and see what works best for your body). Check out our PREPARE Tincture for your morning routine or RECOVER Tincture in the evening or 60 minutes before bed.
In order to figure out the right dosage for you, here are some basic steps to start with:
- Start Small – We recommend starting with smaller doses and gradually increasing as needed. Although too much CBD won’t cause any harm, taking more than you need could waste product unnecessarily. If you’re a tincture user, start with 1/2 of our suggested dose for the first week of your PREPARE Tincture in the morning or one dosage of RECOVER Tincture in the evening 60 minutes prior to bedtime.
- Take Daily – Everyone’s body is different when it comes to CBD. Many people need to build up the substance in their system in order to start seeing benefits. If you don’t see results right away, keep up your daily doses for four weeks, paying close attention to the changes you sense in your body.
Once you’ve figured out your ideal CBD dose you’ll be able to feel confident as you start maximizing the positive benefits of your CBD routine and enjoy the effects it has on your personal preparation, performance and recovery.
How to Take CBD Oil 101: How to figure out your ideal CBD oil dosage, how to use CBD oil
Did you just buy CBD oil and realize there’s no dosage instructions for how to take CBD oil on the package? How do you know how much CBD oil to take? How do you even take it? Here’s the information you wish was included with the product. This post will help you answer:
How do you figure out the proper dosage of CBD oil? How many milligrams of CBD should I take?
How do you take CBD oil?
It’s funny how the market is flooded with CBD options, but so few take the time to educate on dosage and exactly how to consume it. Whether it’s assumptions that consumers know how to use the product or a measure of leaving it up to each consumer to ‘choose their own adventure’, many people’s first experience with CBD oil is one of annoyance and confusion. Especially after spending so much money.
Why don’t some CBD companies list a dosage? Why is it just telling me how many milligrams of CBD are in the container?
Because the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has no official Recommended Daily Intake value (RDI- you’ll recognize this acronym from the back of some packages for items like Vitamin C or Iron). Therefore…there’s no official regulated serving size for CBD.
How do I know how much CBD oil to take? What’s a dosage?
Some companies list a recommended dosage. It could say ‘take two droppers’ or ‘take one teaspoon’. From here you can calculate how many milligrams are in the recommended serving from the company.
Take the total CBD milligrams listed on the bottle and divide by total milliliters in the bottle. Since most droppers hold 1 milliliter of fluid, you can assume the resulting number will tell you how many milligrams are in each dropper.
Example: 300 mg CBD bottle divided by 30 mL= 10 milligrams per dropper
But in general, a dosage, whatever it might be, might not be right for you. Or it might be right for you, but not your friend and therein lies the confusion. CBD works differently for everyone depending on weight, what your focus is for usage (anxiety, sleep, pain, etc), your gender and just how your body reacts to things. It’s going to take trial and error to find the right dosage, and to be honest, that might make people jump ship before they’ve figured out their CBD sweet spot. Even then, throughout your entire life, your dosage needs may shift (hormones change, needs change etc).
As a starting point, start low and adjust incrementally. Don’t move from a CBD dosage of 15 milligrams to 60 milligrams overnight. Take your time to find out what’s just right. Keep going. Keep records. You can definitely figure this out.
The general starting point recommendation for CBD dosages is between 1-6 milligrams of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight and taking into account pain level or other ailment severity.
Example: a 160 pound person might start at a dosage of 16 milligrams but could need 96 milligrams.
That’s a pretty big range, right? No two people are the same. Your dosage is for you.