An upright and short-lived herbaceous plant usually growing 1-2 m tall with stems covered in distinctive purplish blotches. Its stems are also hollow, hairless and have fine lengthwise grooves. Its stems and leaves give off a strong odour when crushed or damaged. Its leaves are large, deeply-divided, and ferny in appearance and their stalks tend to sheath the stems at their bases. Its small white flowers (2-4 mm across) are produced in large dense flat-topped clusters at the tips of the branches. Its small greyish-brown fruit separate into two prominently ribbed ‘seeds’ (2-4 mm long) when mature.
A widespread species that is mainly naturalised in the south-eastern parts of Australia. It is most common in the coastal and sub-coastal regions of Victoria, in eastern New South Wales, in the ACT and in Tasmania. Also scattered in south-eastern Queensland, south-eastern South Australia and south-western Western Australia, and recorded in other parts of Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales and Western Australia. Naturalised overseas in southern Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Central America and South America.
A weed of temperate, and to a lesser extent sub-tropical, environments that is usually found in damp, shaded habitats. It inhabits waterways, floodplains, marshes, wetlands, gullies, forest margins, roadsides, waste areas, disturbed sites, crops and pastures.
hemlock An upright and short-lived herbaceous plant usually growing 1-2 m tall with stems covered in distinctive purplish blotches. Its stems are also hollow, hairless and have fine lengthwise
Noxious Weeds Blog
King County, Washington
Home › News › Don’t eat this plant: poison-hemlock looks edible but is deadly
Don’t eat this plant: poison-hemlock looks edible but is deadly
Poison-hemlock plant in April. Courtesy of Springfieldmn.blogspot.com
If you or someone you know forages for wild plants, please watch out for poison-hemlock. It is in the same family as carrots and parsley and many other edible plants, but can be fatal when eaten. Unfortunately, poison-hemlock is commonly found growing around community gardens and p-patches and along public trails. Once I even found a poison-hemlock growing right in a bed of carrots.
Poison-hemlock leaves and roots resemble carrots but can be distinguished by looking closely. Poison-hemlock stems always have some amount of red or purple spotting on them, even when young.
Poison-hemlock stem with distinctive reddish-purple spotting.
The roots are not orange like a carrot, but rather yellowish or dirty white in color.
Poison-hemlock root. Courtesy of Springfieldmn.blogspot.com
Also, carrot leaves and stems are somewhat hairy but not poison-hemlock, which has smooth stems and leaves. In fact, poison-hemlock leaves often look shiny, especially compared with carrot leaves.
Poison-hemlock leaves are often shiny compared with carrot leaves.
Poison-hemlock also gets much larger. The leafy clumps can be a couple of feet tall in the early spring and the plants grow 4 to 8 feet tall when in flower.
Poison-hemlock starts to bolt in the spring and can get quite tall before flowering.
And if smell is your best sense, you will notice that poison-hemlock has a distinctively unpleasant musty smell.
There are scary poison-hemlock stories just about every year. A couple of years ago, our office received a phone call from someone who stopped a woman from eating poison-hemlock while he was out walking on a trail in Seattle. He couldn’t speak her language and isn’t sure if she really understood him, but at least she stopped collecting the leaves. In another near miss, my daughter’s old elementary school had a scare when they realized there was poison-hemlock growing through the playground fence where the kids were playing, and not far from their school garden. There are even scarier stories where people actually ingested poison-hemlock and became seriously ill or even died, as in the cases in 2010 from Bellingham and Tacoma. A 2015 article in Food Safety News sums up the problems and the worries very well.
Even if you don’t have any poison-hemlock near your own garden, please help others by letting them know if you see any. This is especially important in p-patch or community gardens where new gardeners or newcomers to our area may be unfamiliar with this plant. In public parks or on trails, you can contact the local parks department and encourage them to remove the plants where they are most accessible to people who might be harvesting wild plants for food.
Large clumps of poison-hemlock can be spotted in March and April, often on trails and other public areas.
Poison-hemlock is acutely toxic to people and animals, with symptoms appearing 20 minutes to three hours after ingestion. All parts of the plant are poisonous and even the dead canes remain toxic for up to three years. The amount of toxin varies and tends to be higher in sunny areas. Eating the plant is the main danger, but it is also toxic to the skin and respiratory system. When digging or mowing large amounts of poison-hemlock, it is best to wear gloves and a mask or take frequent breaks to avoid becoming ill. A few years ago, a woman described to me a severe reaction she had after pulling plants on a hot day. It seems that the toxins were absorbed into her skin.
The typical symptoms for humans include dilation of the pupils, dizziness, and trembling followed by slowing of the heartbeat, paralysis of the central nervous system, muscle paralysis, and death due to respiratory failure. For animals, symptoms include nervous trembling, salivation, lack of coordination, pupil dilation, rapid weak pulse, respiratory paralysis, coma, and sometimes death. For both people and animals, quick treatment can reverse the harm and typically there aren’t noticeable aftereffects. If you suspect poisoning from this plant, call for help immediately because the toxins are fast-acting – for people, call poison-control at 1-800-222-1222 or for animals, call your veterinarian.
In King County, poison-hemlock falls into the category of noxious weeds that are so widespread in the county that control is not required, although agencies and property owners are encouraged to remove it if possible or at least keep it out of areas that are accessible to people or animals. Other counties in Washington do require control of poison-hemlock, so be sure to call your local noxious weed board to see what rules apply in your area.
If you have poison-hemlock, it can be effectively controlled by manual or mechanical methods – pulling or digging up small plants, cutting below the crown for large plants, or repeated mowing starting in early April. Always use gloves when handling and wear a mask or take frequent breaks when mowing large patches. Chemical control can work too but be careful not to kill grass that can help suppress weed seeds from germinating and follow all safety and use directions on the herbicide you use.
If you or someone you know forages for wild plants, please watch out for poison-hemlock. It is in the same family as carrots and parsley and many other edible plants, but can be fatal when eaten. Unfortunately, poison-hemlock is commonly found growing around community gardens and p-patches and along public trails. Once I even found…