Click here for the answers to your questions and concerns about CBD for dog appetite stimulation. CBD is effective in increasing your dog's appetite. 8 Things You Didn’t Know About CBD Oil for Dogs Here are 8 things that you might not know about this herb that has taken the world by storm with so much misconception in the marketplace.
CBD for Dog Appetite
When a dog won’t eat, most pet owners begin to worry about something wrong. It’s for good reason because let us be honest – dogs love to eat. Dogs that don’t love to eat or don’t feel like eating for some other reason may need help to stimulate their appetite. CBD for dog appetite is an effective and safe way to increase hunger.
Why a Dog Doesn’t Eat
A dog may not be eating food for a few reasons. The following are some of the most common reasons a dog may not eat:
- Medication Side Effects
There are many illnesses that could disrupt a dog’s appetite. Some of these illnesses include:
- Liver Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Dental Disease
Besides illnesses, a dog might not be eating because of anxiety, disliking the food, or age. Older dogs do not eat as much as younger dogs, so consider age if your dog is eating some food, just not as much as before.
How CBD for Dog Appetite Works
Humans and canines have similar bodily systems. This includes how the bodies use CBD to improve the efficiency of organs.
Researchers in the mid-1980s discovered the endocannabinoid system as they were studying what cannabidiol (CBD) does in the body. They found that CBD binds to cannabinoid receptors, which then help the endocannabinoid system function optimally.
Since the endocannabinoid system has such a big influence in helping organs function efficiently and effectively, the researchers discovered that CBD was a big asset to the body.
Through further studies as it relates to the appetites of dogs, the National Cancer Institute found that CBD increases appetite. Other studies have found that it is highly effective in relieving vomiting and nausea when they are due to toxins or drugs.
Other Benefits of CBD for Dogs
There are many other health benefits of CBD for dogs. Check them out:
Not only do dog owners gain the benefits of helping their pup eat better for increased nutrition, but they also get all of the above benefits and more.
FAQ About CBD for Dog Appetite
The following questions are ones that dog owners often ask when considering CBD for their dog’s appetite.
Can CBD Help My Dog Gain Weight?
Yes, CBD can help your dog gain weight. With the increase in appetite from CBD, your dog will likely consume more calories than spent, which results in weight gain.
What Is an Appetite Stimulant for Dogs?
Most veterinarians’ first course of action for a dog with a lack of appetite is prescribing medications, such as mirtazapine, meclizine, or ghrelin receptor agonist.
This is a common drug prescribed to dogs with a decreased appetite due to kidney disease, cancer, or other medications such as chemotherapy. Mirtazapine acts on the central nervous system and serotonin levels (much like CBD does).
Meclizine is an antihistamine known to reduce nausea. If a dog isn’t eating because of nausea, this medication could help return the dog’s appetite.
Ghrelin Receptor Agonist
Ghrelin is a hormone that makes humans and canines feel hungry. When there isn’t enough of that hormone, that hungry sensation is reduced. A ghrelin receptor agonist can increase the production of the hormone to increase feelings of hunger and then appetite.
What to Expect When You Give Your Dog CBD?
It can take about an hour for a dog to start to feel the effects of CBD. The effectiveness of the dose peaks around 4-8 hours, so that’s usually when most dog parents see a difference in appetite.
Is CBD Good for Dogs Every Day?
Yes, you can give your dog CBD every day. It is a natural supplement, so it is safe for daily use. Even after your dog’s appetite returns, you can continue to give him a dose every day to benefit from the other amazing effects.
How to Give Your Dog CBD Oil
One of the most common questions from dog owners who give their pup CBD oil is how they are supposed to administer it. Some dogs are easy because they let their owners drop the oil into their mouths. Other dogs, well, they aren’t as easy.
To help you easily administer CBD oil to your dog, we’ve come up with these tips: How to Give a Dog CBD Oil
The Best CBD Oil to Increase a Dog’s Appetite
When shopping for CBD products, it’s highly important to choose high-quality ones and the type of CBD you agree with for your pup. CBD oil comes in three types:
Full-Spectrum CBD Oil
This type of CBD is made from the entire hemp plant (flower and buds). Since it includes all the compounds (cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids), it also has a small amount of THC. This is a very small amount of THC (just .3%) so it has no psychoactive effects whatsoever. In other words, your pup will not feel “high” on it.
Broad-Spectrum CBD Oil
This CBD is made from the whole hemp plant. It has all of the compounds that full-spectrum CBD has but 0 THC. It’s perfect for pet owners who don’t feel good about giving their pets any THC. The benefits of increasing appetite, and relieving chronic pain and joint pain are all the same.
Isolate CBD Oil
Isolate CBD is pure CBD. It only has CBD in it – no other compounds from the hemp plants.
What is the best CBD oil to increase your dog’s appetite? It depends on the dog, of course. Full-Spectrum CBD has all the compounds, which researchers say may be more effective due to an “entourage effect” but they don’t say it’s a huge difference in effectiveness.
What CBD Product for a Dog’s Low Appetite
Not only do you have options with what type of CBD oil, but you have options when it comes to CBD products.
- CBD Oil – CBD Tinctures
- CBD Dog Treats
- CBD Capsules
Pet owners prefer CBD oil (CBD tinctures) and CBD dog treats over CBD capsules because it’s easier. Most dogs don’t enjoy capsules so unless they are put into a pill pocket or piece of meat, it’s not easy for a dog to get them down.
CBD oil can be placed in peanut butter, pumpkin puree, or even golden paste for dogs. Some people can put CBD oil in food or water.
CBD dog treats are even easier because these pet products come in great flavors like bacon, steak, chicken, and more.
Quality Standards for CBD Products
When shopping for pet products, especially natural supplements, you should always look for organic ones. In this case, organic hemp plants are the best for CBD products. Also, look for non-GMO which means it hasn’t been genetically modified, so it’s pure.
Research the company that produces the supplements. That will help you feel confident in what they sell and what you’re giving your furry friend.
Dog Ownership Guide recommends the following brands of CBD for dog appetite.
You can read about each one by clicking the links above.
CBD for Dog Appetite and Many Other Benefits
You can use CBD for dog appetite and many other health benefits. Please speak to your vet before starting any new supplement to ensure it is right for your pup.
8 Things You Didn’t Know About CBD Oil for Dogs
Here are 8 things that you might not know about this herb that has taken the world by storm with so much misconception in the marketplace.
- CBD is not Psychoactive (you can’t get high from it): CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound that is found in both cannabis and hemp. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) can also be found in cannabis and is what gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD oils are simply just the benefits of CBD without the THC. Typically CBD is usually extracted from hemp rather than marijuana, so simply put – your dog won’t get high from CBD oil. She’ll get the relaxation without the intoxication.
- CBD Oil Reduces Anxiety: CBD has been extensively studied for its effect on stress and anxiety. In humans it’s been found to:
- Reduce anxiety while speaking in public
- Reduce anxiety in both healthy people and those with anxiety disorders
- Be effective in those with panic disorders and PTSD
- CBD Can Fight Cancer: CBD and other substances in hemp and cannabis have been determined to have an anti-tumor effect. CBD has even been found to stop cancer cells from growing and increase death of cancerous cells.
- CBD has been shown to help the immune systems Killer T Cells consume cancerous cells
- CBD kills cancerous cells by inhibiting their ability to produce energy.
- The anti-tumor properties of CBD slow and inhibit glioma cell growth.
- CBD Can Treat Seizures and Epilepsy: An estimated 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. Most of them are put on drugs like phenobarbital and potassium bromide which may help control the seizures but can be extremely harmful to your dog’s liver and other internal organs. Unfortunately, these drugs also do not work in all cases. CBD has been shown to be effective in drug-resistant epilepsy. In one study, 83% of patients with drug resistant epilepsy saw a marked improvement within 4 -5 months of taking CBD on a regular schedule. In another study, 84% of children with treatment-resistant epilepsy who had been taking CBD had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.
- CBD is a Pain Reliever: Scientists are considering CBD as a new class of drug in the treatment of chronic pain since the cannabinoids in CBD work so well for controlling pain. Studies show that CBD is highly effective for
- Decreasing pain (including neuropathy and nerve-related pain)
- Decreasing the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress (which causes degeneration and premature aging)
- Decreasing inflammation in acute pancreatitis
- Reducing inflammation
- Reducing intestinal inflammation associated with irritable bowel disease. Animal studies show that CBD is effective is preventing colitis (IBD) and restoring normal gut motility in IBD.
- CBD Helps Protect the Nervous System and Helps with Neurodegenerative Diseases: For does that are suffering from degenerative myelopathy and other spinal and nervous issues, CBD shows great promise. It’s been shown to help patients with ALS, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases by protecting the brain cells from toxicity. For senior dogs CBD has been shown to protect the brain from cell death caused by toxins and free radicals.
- CBD Increases Appetite And Helps With Nausea: If you have trouble getting your dog to eat, CBD can help. The National Cancer Institute reports that CBD increases appetite. In animal studies, CBD has also been shown to help with vomiting and nausea, even when they’re the result of toxins and drugs.
- CBD Promotes Cardiovascular Health: CBD has been linked to heart health. Studies show it can reduce the damage from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates, protect blood vessels from damage and dilate the arteries, and reduce heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress and anxiety.
CBD Oil For Dogs Is Legal And Safe
With so many studies showing the health benefits of CBD, the most encouraging result is that CBD appears to be safe, even when taken in high doses and over extended periods of time. It can decrease the activity of liver enzymes used to metabolize many prescription drugs, so if your dog is on medication, check with your vet before using CBD.
Most CBD oil for dogs and other pets is derived from hemp oil, so it contains no or very small traces of THC. Because of this, all 50 states have approved the use of hemp-based CBD for human and animal products.
The bottom line is, CBD oil could be a healthy (or even life-saving) herb for your dog. More and more pet owners and vets are drawn to its diverse and marked health benefits and they feel good knowing the side effects are mild and animals don’t appear to build up a tolerance.
Choose A Good CBD Oil For Your Dog
Not all CBD oils are equal…you’ll want a high quality CBD oil that works, so here are a few things to look for:
- Go organic: If it isn’t organic, your CBD oil contains pesticides, fungicides or solvents.
- Don’t cheap out: The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. Don’t price shop … make sure your CBD oil is free of additives and has a good amount of CBD.
- Get the analysis: Ask for a lab analysis of the amount of CBD in the product. Many CBD oils contain only small amounts of CBD. The manufacturer should provide a certificate of analysis. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
- Buy CBD as a tincture: You can buy CBD in treats but the best form is in a tincture. This way, you can adjust your dog’s dose drop by drop to make sure he gets the most benefit. CBD treats are just that – treats. We think they’re great, just don’t use them to treat ailments, you’ll likely be disappointed in the results.
Just like any treatment, start your dog off slowly but don’t let the naysayers tell you CBD isn’t a good option for your dog … the research is being done and the results are very promising.
Come to either Bend Pet Express location and talk to our knowledgeable staff about CBD options today. We have a great selection.